“In a growth mindset, challenges are exciting rather than threatening. So rather than thinking, oh, I’m going to reveal my weaknesses, you say, wow, here’s a chance to grow”
Carol Dweck, American psychologist, author and researcher
Athletes who can only dedicate a portion of their time to their chosen sport face many challenges, demands, and interferences, from a variety of sources.
A key factor for you as a part-time athlete is time! How do you find the time to do your training, get some recovery time, cook healthy nutritional food, travel to matches and competitions, while possibly juggling a variety of important life activities such as career, housework, looking after family, kids, a social life etc? Financing your sport can also be an issue (the gear, equipment, travel, club membership, entry fees, personal trainer/coach) and motivating yourself at the same time to get out in all types of weather and times of day/night to get that all important training in. In parallel with this, many of you will struggle with the pressure of competing – nerves, anxiety, self-doubt and self-limiting beliefs can all hamper our performance.
How good is that feeling though, when you go out there and really perform well?
The adrenaline rush, the excitement, the exhilaration, the camaraderie… makes it all worthwhile.
Sometimes, however, we need a little help, support, and a gentle nudge to get us there.
If you can relate to this and want to get more of this ‘feel good’ factor and really want to be the best you can be at your chosen sport, A Personal Bests life coaching programme may be just what you need.
All our programmes are tailored specifically to your needs and objectives, time and budget, and are available both in person and online or combination.
Just some of the areas we can help you with include:
- Wheel of Life assessment – identify and address key aspects of your life which may be holding you back or ‘interfering’ with your sport e.g. Career, Relationships, Finances, Physical environment, Health etc.
- Effective goal setting and compilation of strategies to achieve them
- Providing an objective, non-judgemental sounding board
- Building self-awareness
- Knowing your Values – your internal compass.
- Work-life balance
- Prioritising key areas of your life conducive to your sport
- Decluttering your life – how to cut out the ‘bad stuff’
- Identifying what’s holding you back – challenges and obstacles and how to overcome them
- Providing direction/purpose
- Decision making
- Identifying and challenging your fears
- Dealing with self-sabotage
- Identifying and addressing negative thinking habits and self-limiting beliefs e.g. perfectionism, catastrophising, personalisation, emotional reasoning, imposter syndrome etc, using techniques primarily drawn from Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Rational Emotive Behavioural Therapy (REBT).
- Motivation – what will make you more motivated to train and compete
- Confidence building
Stress Management & Resilience
- 8 session online stress management training course. The programme presents the theory, skills and techniques of Stress Management and focuses on 3 interrelated systems involved in our stress response – our thoughts, the physical changes in our body, and finally the behaviour that results from these. Each of the 8 sessions has at its core; an information giving lecture, and a relaxation exercise, both of which are provided to you for home use.
- Assessments, Theory of stress, Practical tools and Relaxation & Breathing exercises.
- Stress, Nerves, Anxiety, Assertiveness, Time Management, Challenging Negative Thinking, Building Self-esteem, Lifestyle changes.
- Being happy in your career and feeling in control of it will boost self-confidence and facilitate you to fully focus on your sport.
- With nearly fourteen years experience as specialists in career coaching we offer a range of career coaching services including the ground-breaking and unique Firework Career Transition Programme designed for individuals at a career crossroads or planning the next step in their career, helping them identify their ideal career.
- CV Preparation
- Interview Skills
- Career Planning
- Personal and Professional Development Plans.
- Career Decisions (Career change, role change, retirement, redundancy, part-time/full-time).
- Networking skills
For more information on our career coaching services visit our sister site Outcome Coaching
Emotional Intelligence assessment and Development
- Greater self-awareness
- Improved relationships
- Improved communication
- Better empathy
- Feeling confident and positive
- Managing change more confidently
- Respect from others
- Reduced stress level
- Learning from mistakes
Other Areas we can help you with
- Handling Nerves and Anxiety
- Time Management
- Fear of Failure
- Imposter Syndrome
- Burnout – recognising the signs and dealing with it
- Coping with Injury
- Handling change